Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Some Pen sketches


I like to switch mediums every now and then. I love to work with a thick black crayon or a sharpie to do some quick drawings, but I'll work with anything as long as the tool gives me a nice flowing line. John Kricfalusi introduced me to Primacolour Pencils on Mighty Mouse, The New Adventures, but my favorites are Blaisdell Layout Pencils, Polychromos and the now extinct Blackwing pencils, which I have a few stubs laying around the house somewhere.

Sometimes, I like to take a cheap Bic pen and do some sketches. They're actually pretty great to sketch with and I like the line quality, which kind of resembles that Disney Zerox look of the 60's and 70's. Making drawings with a permanent pen really forces you to think before you lay a line down. I think it's a pretty good exercise from time to time.

6 comments:

Richard Gaines said...

TOTALLY AWESOME, BRIAN!!!!!! Finally, you posted your work! It's so refreshing to look at characters like this. I think this is the first time I lay witness to you stuff since 2002!

I'm going to post some of my stuff in the near future and I wanted your feedback. I guess I'm beginning to get the shapes down a bit more so I have to start really practicing, practicing!

Thanks so much for posting. Your characters are as super-exciting as always!

Brian Mitchell said...

Hey Richard!
Thanks for stopping by!
I really appreciate your comments. Last time I posted artwork on the internet, someone snail mailed me some drawings from the orient that were hand copied off of my website.
I really didn't know what to think. At first I was flattered, but then I wondered if someone would rip off my characters in some foreign land. You never know..
Actually, for someone to sit down and spend hours trying how to draw like me was a bit of a kick. I wonder if they learned anything?

I'll be lurking around and will stop by to take a look at your work. From what I can see, your drawings have made steady improvement. Keep up the good work Rich.
Brian

Anonymous said...

Terrific stuff, as usual! I have a box full of Sanford Uni-Ball Micro pens. I like them for quick, on-the-go sketching. I like the consistent fine line and the blackness of the ink. I find they don't skip as much as other ballpoints, too. I also like to keep a Pitt brush marker handy, though they demand a slower, more careful hand.

-- Bob
http://www.cartoonacy.net

Brian Mitchell said...

Bob,
Thanks!
As long as you can get that flowing line without the drop outs, you're in good shape. I've used the uniball's in the past and find them to be good as well.
I've used the brush pens, but I find they interrupt my flow. I find them better for inking my work.
Keep sketching!
Brian

Tony DiStefano said...

Mr.Mitchell,
Good to see your work again.
Wonderful as always!
stay well
Tony D.

Brian Mitchell said...

Hey Tony!
Glad you stopped by!
I'm keeping up with the blog and will be posting new stuff every week. Thanks for the compliments and I'll talk to you soon.
Brian